Looking for something specific? Search the
Note: recently uploaded pages may not show up in your search.
This is a clickable "image map."
Simply click a location on the map to have that location open in a separate window.
Lake Champlain, Lake George, and the
Richelieu River have been vital transportation corridors since pre-Columbian days.|
Lake Champlain, known to the Abenaki as bitawbágw, flows north to the Richelieu River, and, eventually the St. Lawrence, along its roughly 100 mile length. It connects with Lake George, or Andiatarocté, as it was known to the Mohawk, at the Ticonderoga peninsula, where a small stream, now known as La Chute, affords an outlet from Lake George.
The first European to see the lakes was the French explorer Samuel de Champlain in 1609.
Fittingly named, "The Great Warpath," the lakes have seen great armies and huge flotillas traverse the length and breadth of their waters.
During the all too brief periods of peace between the wars of the 18th and early 19th Centuries, the waterways were used by brave and hardy settlers to reach new homes in the wilderness.
Only when the vast wilderness was tamed and reliable land transportation was possible did these waterways finally become avenues suited only for peaceable use.
Commerce- legal and illegal- flourished on the waterways all through the 19th and early 20th Centuries.
Today, these storied waterways are treasured by millions for their recreational value.
More maps here
Photo contributions can be found throughout America's Historic Lakes. In addition to images from Jim Millard and the authors listed above; photos have been graciously contributed by Greg Furness, Jerry Forkey, Barbara Gallagher, Frederic Chase, Roger and Linda Harwood, Floyd Harwood, Doug and Mark Harwood, Judy Carpenter, Dan Rock, Philip Lamarche, John Tomkins III, Claudia Hornby, Matt Booth, Ralph Gilpin, Charlie Barney and Michael Bernstein. In addition, we have images from the collections of the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, Clinton County Historical Association and Museum, Special Collections at Feinberg Library, State University of New York and Powertex, Inc. of Rouses Point, NY. Music contributions have been made by Stan Ransom and Tom Ventiquattro.
"...a superb job of documenting the history of Crab Island. Secrets of Crab Island has made a significant contribution
to the public awareness of this important historic site."
Dr. Russell P. Bellico— Historian/Author- "Sails and Steam in the Mountains: A Maritime and Military History of
Lake George and Lake Champlain"
Want to know more? See sample pages? Click here. To purchase click the image above or call Toll Free 1-877-809-1659